Senior Women''s Economic Empowerment Advisor
A leading international charity based in London is seeking a senior Women's Empowerment Advisor (for Agricultural Value Chains and Market Systems)for a full time year long contract.
You will be one of a team of technical experts within in the Women's Economic Empowerment Team and will be responsible for the development and delivery our global Value Chain Development portfolio.
You will provide high-level technical advice and programme design support across a range of institutional contexts, from direct assistance to country office teams to advising corporate partners in pro- poor programme design. You will thrive on working collaboratively with other teams as well as managing major initiatives with minimal supervision.
You will ensure consistently high programme quality, help measure impact and foster learning across the charity and with external partners. You will also actively contribute to strengthening conceptual thinking and approach to Agricultural Market Systems & Value Chain Development in the context of Women's Economic Empowerment.
Key policy and advocacy positions for the organisation will be informed by this role through your engagement with Advocacy Teams across the organisation as well as a range of policy makers. This will involve playing a significant external representation role, engaging with senior decision makers and peers to influence policy, and develop new partnerships.
Main Areas of Responsibility
1) Programme Quality and Impact
Actively Contribute to conceptual thinking and approaches in Women & Markets with a focus on market systems approaches to agriculture
Lead the development of major technical resources, tools and knowledge products to improve practice around market systems and value chain development and where relevant integrating financial inclusion, entrepreneurship and dignified work
Lead and Manage designated portfolio ensuring quality programme delivery and impact
Provide high quality technical advice and capacity building across a range of institutional contexts, including direct assistance to country offices and private sector partners
Collaborate across teams regarding roles for inclusive governance, livelihoods, resilience, food security in value chains work
2) Portfolio Growth, oversight and delivery
Responsible for portfolio development and oversight
New Funds and Resources
Attract and identify significant resources in line with fundraising targets, including working with the programme funding and private sector engagement teams to identify new opportunities for the value chain portfolio
Meet cost recovery targets for technical assistance to donors, foundations and companies in association with country offices and CIUK's fundraising team
3) Multiplying Impact
With programme, policy and advocacy colleagues proactively contribute to/lead on efforts to multiply the organisation's impact around women and markets through scale up, replication, policy change
Drive learning and knowledge management by authoring, commissioning and contributing to publications, policy documents, and other resource materials for internal and external audiences
Stay abreast of current debate and practice related to economic empowerment and private sector development, in particular value chain development (from local to global).
- MA in Development in related subject, or MBA or equivalent expertise.
- Expert Technical skills in market systems, approaches and value chain development in Agriculture.
- In-depth understanding of key concepts in Private Sector Engagement and expertise in applying to these development programmes.
- Knowledge of how companies operate (including benefits and pitfalls) of engaging them in development.
- Outstanding ability to support and advise non-specialist colleagues and to communicate complex ideas.
- Ability to write clearly and condense information into accessible and cogent reports.
- Strong negotiation, influencing and networking skills.
- Strong management and budgeting skills.
- Understanding of principles of participation, gender equality and woman's empowerment.
- Experience in advising on and implementing development programmes involving private sector, markets or economic development.
- Experience managing major development initiatives, including budget management experience.
- Experience representing an organisation at a high level and attracting support from the business community and institutional donors (such as DFID).
- Experience in research design and implementing Monitoring and Evaluation programmes.
- Experience drafting policy publications for external audiences.
The organisation particularly welcomes applications from candidate who also possess the following:
Fluency in French | Applied statistical analysis | Promotion of gender equality and women's economic empowerment | Knowledge of micro and macroeconomic variables | Developmental experience in Africa | Experience of working in the private sector and as well as institutional donors (particularly DFID)