Programme Design Coordinator
An Africa-focused charity in London is seeking a Programme Design Coordinator for a full-time and permanent vacancy. The Programme Design Coordinator will play a central role in the charity's five-year strategy for organizational growth. The Programme Design Coordinator leads the development of successful funding proposals to major institutional donors and foundations through coordination of strong project design processes and bid development.
The charity has launched an ambitious new strategy, aiming to become the leading European NGO specializing in agriculture, environment and business. This aims to be achieved by doubling programmatic funding by 2020.
Key tasks and responsibilities
Proposal design development
- Collaborate with country office teams in developing the design of robust and effective projects to produce winning proposals.
- Develop, oversee and deliver project design deliverables in response to briefs agreed with the Business Development Team.
- Develop and maintain explicit internal standards in project design, including technical and programmatic best practice and delivery of consistently high quality proposals.
- Liaise closely with the Business Development team to ensure that all proposal design is aligned with donor specifications and relevant to donor priorities and interests.
- Build and manage relationships with partners and potential partners (including other NGOs and the private sector) to support innovative and effective project design.
- Work with colleagues across the Programme Design & Support team, as well as in- country teams to ensure smooth transition from project design to delivery, and input to project start up.
Develop and refine tools and approaches in programme design
- Support the Programme Design & Support team in ongoing review and strategy development for organisational capacity in project design
- Lead development of key components of project design capacity and systems development, including quality assurance and proposal scheduling systems.
- Lead on cross-organisational learning through proposal debriefs for specific project design development processes.
- Ensure that the technical Approach Papers development is informed by learning and innovation from project design
- Assist the Programme Design Manager in the design and delivery of capacity training objectives and activities to strengthen the ability of in-country teams to carry out comprehensive project design processes.
- Support in-country teams in the use of design tools, including Theory of Change, logical frameworks and standard budget template.
- Be a key member of the Programmes Team, coordinating assigned project work with other teams and contributing to team meetings.
- Contribute to wider systems development and internal capacity building initiatives of the organisation, particularly cross-team management of the programmes cycle.
- Support collaborative working with the Corporate Fundraising and Business - Development teams, including development of new business processes.
- Build and maintain a regular dialogue with colleagues in all African countries on project impact and development, learning and strategic priorities
Education & Knowledge
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of delivering programmatic income from institutional donors and foundations for international development programmes.
- Strong understanding of international development programmes including terminology and programme design and monitoring tools.
- Significant experience of writing successful, high- value fundraising proposals that secure significant donations from institutional donors and trusts and foundations.
- Experience of preparing and reviewing proposal budgets to ensure accuracy, cost recovery and value for money.
- Experience leading a proposal design process from initial brief to final design.
- Experience of remote project management and co-ordination teams.
- Post-graduate qualification in international development or a field closely related to African development or significant experience working in a developing country.
- Knowledge of results chain methodologies including logical framework and Theory of Change.
- Experience of proposal writing for DFID, USAID, EU or large foundations.
- Experience of budget design and development for major project proposals.
- Practical Knowledge of one or more of the three main focus areas Agriculture, NRM, Market Engagement
- Experience of remote support of NGO programmes in rural setting of the Global South.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent proposal writing skills with high attention to detail and the ability to turn complex project and/or organisational information into a compelling case for support.
Strong project management and organisational skills, and the ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent written and spoken English to engage effectively with a wide range of technical donor and corporate audiences.
- Excellent team work skills and ability to initiate, develop and maintain cross-departmental communication.
- Strong verbal communication skills and ability to explain rationale and processes for project design process
- Ability to build relationships with existing and new project partners, working collaboratively in project design
- Ability to build strong working relationships across cultures and to provide feedback on proposals in a sensitive manner.