£75k - 85k per year
020 7820 7311
18 days ago
Harris Hill is recruiting for a Director of Finance and Business Operations for this well-established Medical Research Charity based in London.
The salary: 75,000pa - 85,000pa
Location: The position requires you to work in their London office at least 2 days a week
Education and Experience
- Substantial demonstrated experience of both company and charity financial management and reporting requirements. A formal financial management or accountancy qualification CCAB/CIMA or equivalent is required.
- Detailed knowledge of the Charity Governance Code and its appropriate application to the Foundation.
- Significant experience of negotiating legal agreements and contracts ideally to include experience in Contract Research Organisations (CROs), academic and industry partners settings
- The Director of Finance and Business Operations (DFBO) is accountable for the overall financial leadership of the Foundation. They not only manage all of the finances and ensure accurate and timely financial information is available to the Trustees, Chief Executive and other Directors to allow appropriate decision making on the Foundation strategy and operations, but also ensure compliance with the statutory filing of accounts.
- As part of their financial leadership, the DFBO acts as the primary interface between the Foundation and the Trustee appointed investment management firm and develops and maintains the Foundation financial sustainability and income generation strategy.
- The DFBO also leads the business operations capabilities of the Foundation including oversight of legal activities, risk and compliance, human resources, IT and policies.
- The DFBO is a core member of the Foundation's Director leadership team.
- Longer Term Financial Planning: Leads the twice annual Longer-Term Plan and spend forecast with input from the other Directors and the oversight of the Chief Executive. Collates and aggregates data for all spend types in order to prepare longer term (rolling 10 year horizon) cash spend scenarios. Partners with the Directors/Chief Executive to present this summary information to the Trustees for endorsement.
- Portfolio Management: Supports ongoing portfolio management and scenario planning analyses through providing financial summaries of past and future spend by cost types as may be requested by the Trustees and Chief Executive for both regular reviews or as needed on an ad hoc basis.
- Management Accounts: Prepares timely and accurate quarterly management accounts for both the Trustees and Director/Chief Executive review.
- Investment Management: Act as the primary interface between the Foundation and the Trustee appointed investment management firm. Ensures regular review of the investment performance with the Trustees and Chief Executive (including changes to investment risk profile based on expected dates of expenditure and market condition and other applicable factors.)
Financial Sustainability and Income Generation
- Develop a formal Foundation financial sustainability and income generation strategy with input from the Directors/Chief Executive and external sources of guidance (peer organisations, charity fundraising specialists and others). Evaluate: potential value creation from future Foundation owned intellectual property and royalty payments and the prospects to generate further opportunities in the future. Assess possible co-funding strategies with other funding organisations.
Business Operations Risk and Compliance
- Periodically assesses ongoing adherence to the Charity Governance Code and all other applicable industry codes and regulations.
- In partnership with external advisors and the Chief Executive maintains Foundation HR policies including training and development needs.
- Oversee the Foundation's IT infrastructure and ensure appropriate policies and best practices are in place and maintained.
- Periodically reviews Foundation policies, guidance's, handbooks and other documents as applicable, to ensure they remain up to date and fit for purpose and maintain the Foundation's freedom to operate. Addresses potential gaps with the other Directors/Chief Executive.
- Accountable for the oversight and negotiation of Foundation's contracts and legal agreements