£50k per year
almost 2 years ago
Harris Hill are recruiting for a Head of Finance for this well-established Medical Charities based in London.
The Head of Finance will lead the finance function of 2, working directly to the CEO ensuring a robust and compliant system is available to support the activities of each charity.
The position requires a Qualified Accountant to cover the following;
Financial & Management Accounting
- Prepare, plan and complete the year end process on the membership databases including the direct debit submissions.
- Prepare the accounts to trial balance for all companies
- Prepare annual financial statements for the Charities (SORP compliant)
- Design management information to support Board decision making
- Continually review the finance department to initiate and apply improvements to ways of working.
- Liaise with organisations' investment managers and the Board / Finance Committee to ensure prudent management of portfolios.
- Ensure the accurate and timely management of the purchase and sales ledgers by the finance team, including credit control and cash management.
- Approve weekly payments and check accuracy and appropriate approvals has been obtained.
- Review the management information completed by the Assistant Accountant
- Complete monthly payroll and liaise with pension providers. Calculate salary re-charges.
- Arrange annual audits and share information with the Board and Members.
- Complete quarterly VAT returns (partial exemption)
- Complete annual P11ds.
- Train finance team on correct application of VAT codes
- Investigate tax matters as they arise (e.g. VAT on online journals, etc)
- Ensure all organisations are compliant with HMRC legislation and keep up to date with changes in tax legislation.
Finance Committee & Boards
- Lead the preparation of the finance committee agenda.
- Prepare the Finance reports to the Board.
- Contribute to meetings to keep abreast of issues being discussed. Prepare relevant financial information to support decision making.
- Provide advice and guidance on charity legislation and best practice.
- On behalf of the Company Secretary, complete the annual returns with the Charity Commission and Companies House and update with new trustee information.
- Complete project work, as directed following Board meetings (e.g. investments, governance, etc)
- Manage the finance team and be responsible for workloads, projects and prioritization of tasks for the team.
- Be responsible for recruitment for the finance team, their annual appraisals and on-going development.
- Act as the senior manager for all queries and issues when based in the office for the rest of the team.
- Act as deputy to the Chief Executive.
- Lead on the implementation of GDPR. Act as the key contact for all organizations.
- Prepare or review contracts, agreements with external bodies and contractors. Make recommendations, as required.
- Review insurance agreements.
- Lead on and review the risk register for Board approval.