£65k - 75k per year
over 2 years ago
Harris Hill are recruiting for a Director of Finance for this well-established Charity based in Guildford, Surrey - Working from home for now, but will go into the office once we are back to normal
HOURS: Full time ideally, but less days are welcome
LOCATION: Guildford, Surrey - Home Working
SALARY: 65,000pa - 75,000pa
LENGTH OF CONTRACT: 6 Months Fixed Term, possible Perm afterwards
START DATE: Immediate
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To optimise the charity's financial performance to support the transformational ambitions and direction of the 2018-23 strategy.
To ensure the charity has the organisational capacity and capability it needs to deliver its 2018-23 strategy.
POSITION IN THE ORGANISATION
Reports to the Chief Executive.
One of four directors on the senior management team (SMT).
May be asked to deputise for the Chief Executive from time to time.
Attends all Board meetings; and the Board's Finance & Performance Committee.
- Lead the development and implementation of a financial strategy for the charity to support the organisational strategy. To include long term financial forecasts, and the reserves policy.
- Contribute a financial perspective to all strategic developments challenging assumptions and decision making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance to the Board and SMT to help them make business-focused decisions.
- Lead the annual budget process to ensure the budget aligns with the business plan and strategy and is understood by the Board, SMT and budget holders.
- Ensure timely efficient and accurate management accounts, cash flow management and forecasting - enabling budget holders and trustees to make informed financial decisions.
- Provide colleagues with the information they need for funding proposals and to meet funders' reporting requirements.
- Ensure the timely, efficient and accurate production of statutory accounts and Trustees' annual report in accordance with all relevant legislation and accounting standards. Liaise with the auditors.
- Business processes and IT systems
- Act as the Data Controller; and ensure the charity is compliant with data protection legislation.
- Support the SMT with identifying the key business and management processes which need to be improved to successfully deliver the strategy 2018-23; and the best way to improve them.
- Direct the development of an IT strategy to support the required process improvement; and the business case for investment.
- Direct the implementation of the agreed IT strategy; monitor and review progress systematically, with SMT.
- Oversee the day-to-day support for established IT systems.
- Organisation-wide planning and performance monitoring
- Support the CEO with coordinating the development of the organisational strategy and the annual business plan.
- Provide analysis and insight to support the development of the organisational strategy and, strategies, including making recommendations where appropriate (e.g. with investments)
- Coordinate the processes for reviewing the strategy; and monitoring and controlling the business plan.
- Provide the Board with the information it needs to review the strategy and monitor the key performance indicators for the business plan.
- Governance processes
- Act as the Company Secretary.
- Support the CEO and Chair with the preparation of Board and Committee agendas; and oversee the Board calendar; the organisation of the meetings; the production and distribution of papers; and the production of minutes.
- Support the Nominations Committee with elections and appointments to the Board; oversee the elections.
- Qualified member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification.
- Knowledge and experience
- A senior finance position in a charity, public or private organisation with > 3m turnover.
- Strategic financial analysis and leadership of financial strategies.
- Preparation of accounts and budgets.
- Monitoring and analysing financial performance.
- Preparing concise reports for a Board or SMT summarising performance, analysis and recommendations.